This manual was converted into an accessible format by A. T. Guys. While we strive to present an accurate version of the manual, errors may occur. Please visit https://www.atguys.com for the latest product information.
If you are looking to order the Micro-Speak Plus 8GB Talking Digital Voice Recorder, you can do so at the following link:
Order your Micro-Speak Plus 8GB Talking Digital Voice Recorder from A. T. Guys, Your Access Technology Experts
8GB Micro-Speak Plus User Guide
Thank you for purchasing the Micro-Speak Talking Digital Voice Recorder from Talking Products Limited and A T Guys. Let’s get you oriented so you can use your new recorder right away.
Place the unit so the buttons are face up and closer to you. The speaker and microphone are hidden behind the grill on the top half of the unit. The Record Button is a long button located below the speaker. There is an LCD display below the Record Button. Below this are three navigation buttons. From left to right, these are Previous, Play, and Next.
On the right side, you will find a headphone jack closest to you, followed by Volume Down and Volume Up buttons.
The Power ON/OFF switch is located on the bottom edge to the left side. Slide the switch to the left to turn the unit on and to the right to turn it off. A USB port, used for charging and transferring files, is located to the right of the Power Switch.
Welcome message When using Micro-Speak for the first time, slide the Power Switch to the ON position and the MICRO-SPEAK name will appear on the screen for 3 to 4 seconds. Micro-Speak will then go into Play Mode and this manual will be ready to play. Press the Play/Pause button once to hear the guide. Adjust the volume to suit your needs.
After the Micro-Speak is powered ON, you will hear an audio prompt that will state the unit is ready to use followed by the status of the Battery. There are four battery levels, High, Medium, Low and Empty.
How to charge the battery
Before using your Micro-Speak for the first time, please charge the battery as follows.
- Turn your Micro-Speak OFF and connect it to a USB port on a Computer using the USB cable provided. You can also plug it in to a USB AC adapter.
- If successful, you’ll hear an audio prompt and the battery icon on the screen will flash.
- When the Micro-Speak is fully charged the battery icon will stop flashing and you will hear an audio prompt to tell you charging is complete.
- Disconnect the USB cable after the battery has finished charging. NOTE: For the first 3 times of use we recommend that you charge your Micro-Speak for 12 hours. We also suggest that you use up the power completely before you recharge. This process will help you to achieve the maximum charging capacity from your Micro-Speak. Subsequent charges should take about 2 to 3 hours. NOTE: Your computer must be turned on for the Micro-Speak to charge via USB.
How to record
- Slide the Power Switch to the ON position, the LED will turn green and you will hear an audio prompt to confirm the unit is ready to use.
- Press the Record button once. The LED will turn red. After 2 or 3 seconds, you will hear 1 beep, the screen will display the word RECORDING and the time elapsed to indicate that recording is in progress.
- Speak clearly into the Microphone. Alter your distance from the microphone to suit your application.
- If you wish to pause your recording at any time, press the Play/Pause button. You will hear 2 beeps to confirm that recording has paused. To resume recording, press the Play/Pause button again and you will hear 1 beep to confirm that the recording has resumed.
- When you have finished recording, press the Record button once and you will hear 3 beeps to confirm that your message has been saved. The LED will turn back to Green.
- Repeat the steps above to create additional recordings.
- After each recording has been saved, Micro-Speak will automatically return to Play Mode.
NOTE: Depending on the length of your recorded message it may take a few seconds before your message is ready to play. The file name will be displayed on line two of the screen.
NOTES: Each saved recording will be given a unique file name. All the recordings will be saved onto the internal memory within a folder called RECORD.
How to playback and pause
- Press the Play/Pause button once to start the playback.
- If you wish to pause the playback at any time press the Play/Pause button once. To resume playback press the Play/Pause button again.
How to Fast Forward and Rewind
While a track is being played back you can press and hold the Previous or Next button to quickly rewind or fast forward through the current track. As you press and hold the button, the screen will display the time elapsed to indicate your position within the track. Release the button when you wish to resume playback.
How to find tracks
While a track is paused or being played back, press the Previous or Next button to select and play a different track. The screen will display the name to help you find the track you require.
To increase the volume press the plus button and to decrease the volume press the minus button. The screen will display the selected volume levels between 0 and 20.
Use the headphone jack on your Micro-Speak for personal listening, but please remember to adjust the volume level before you wear your headphones.
How to delete a track
- Select the track you wish to delete and press the Play/Pause button.
- While the track is being played, press and hold the Play/Pause button. You will hear an audible prompt to confirm the playback has been paused. You will then be asked if you wish to delete the file.
- Press the Previous or Next button to move the cursor onto either <YES> or <NO>. When the cursor is on <NO> you will hear 2 beeps and when the cursor is on <YES> you will hear 1 beep. Press the Play/Pause button to confirm your choice and you will hear an audible prompt.
NOTE: You can also delete files by connecting your Micro-Speak to a Computer or Mac using the USB cable provided.
Connect to a Computer
- Connect Micro-Speak to an available USB socket on your Computer using the USB cable provided.
- The first time Micro-Speak is connected to a Computer, it will install the drivers and may require the Computer to be rebooted depending on your operating system.
- The Computer will recognize Micro-Speak as a USB mass storage device and it will appear as a ‘Removable Drive’ within the file explorer window.
- Your recordings will appear in a folder named RECORD. You can move or copy tracks to and from your Computer as you would with any USB storage device. Use the RECORD folder to store new tracks to play on your Micro-Speak, but please note that you can only playback WAV or MP3 files.
If the Micro-Speak is left with the power ON and not used for 15 minutes the unit will automatically power OFF. To turn the Micro-Speak back on again simply slide the power switch to the OFF position and then back to the ON position.
Micro-Speak has been designed to work reliably in normal conditions, but it is possible that problems may occur. Please check the following suggestions before contacting our Customer Service department.
Problem: No Green LED and nothing on the screen, or no audio when turning on the unit?
Solution: Battery may be empty. Recharge the battery.
Problem: Track will not play?
Solution: Micro-Speak will only play WAV or MP3 files
Problem: Can’t record?
Solution: The memory might be full. Try deleting some files.
Problem: Playback has frozen?
Solution: Try rebooting by switching the unit OFF and ON.
TIP: We advise you to back up your recordings to a Computer on a regular basis. Save them to a folder on your hard drive to avoid accidental loss.
Support and Warranty
Micro-Speak is provided with a one-year warranty for problems found during normal usage. Mistreating your Micro-Speak or opening the case will invalidate this warranty. Any data stored on your Micro-Speak and any consequential loss is not covered by this warranty. The battery can NOT be replaced. All out of warranty repairs will be subject to a replacement fee. Contact Us For assistance and technical support, please contact our Customer Service team via email at info@TalkingProducts.com
You may also contact A T Guys support at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling (269) 216-4798.
Talking Products Ltd
The Premier Centre Abbey Park Industrial Estate Romsey
Hampshire SO51 9DG ENGLAND Tel: 01794 278327 Web Site: www.TalkingProducts.com
Please read all instructions carefully before using this product and retain this document for future reference. Micro-Speak is not recommended for children under 3 years. Do not allow your Micro-Speak to come into contact with water. Micro-Speak contains a non-replaceable, rechargeable battery. Please do not attempt to open the case and remove the battery. Warranty is void if the case is opened for any reason. To avoid damaging your ears with excessive noise, please adjust the volume level before you play a track.
- Recording format: WAV, 192kbps, 48kHz, 16 bit, Mono
- Recording capacity: 96 hours
- Memory size: 8GB
- Playback formats: WAV and MP3
- Built-in Battery: 400mAH Lithium-ion Polymer battery
- Battery Life: Approx. 4 hours
- recording or playback Signal to noise: 70dB
- Frequency response: 160Hz to 16kHz
- Operating Temp: 0 to 40 Deg C
- Storage Temp: -10 to +55 Deg C
- Certification: CE, RoHS and EN-71
- Size: 105 x 60 x 22mm
- Product Code: MIC-8GB-APY
Audio prompts and guide read by Ricky Enger and produced by Patrick Perdue.